Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Brewers ace Zack Greinke takes active role in draft scouting - SportingNews.com

MILWAUKEEâ€"The Milwaukee Brewers' wealth of draft expertise apparently isn't limited to their front office. Ace pitcher Zack Greinke spends some of his free time watching video of draft prospects, and general manager Doug Melvin invited him to spend some time in the team's draft room during the opening round of the first-year player draft Monday night.

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Greinke was eager to share his thoughts on potential draft targets â€" so much so that he walked into Roenicke's meeting with Melvin and assistant general manager Gord Ash on Sunday, armed with an iPad filled with his notes on several players.

Zack Greinke says he looks for attributes in players that other people might not detect. (AP Photo)

"Doug and Gord and I were in my office and Zack stopped by â€" and he had his list," Roenicke said Tuesday. "So Doug asked him who he liked, and he went over some of the guys that he really liked. And Doug said, 'Hey, if you're not doing anything tomorrow, you're welcome to come up.' By the time I got there, he was already there. That's pretty impressive. I spent a couple hours there. He was there longer than I was."

Greinke said he always has enjoyed evaluating prospects.

"I just try to see something that other people can't see," Greinke said. "It's just interesting to me."

The 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner said he actually has a harder time evaluating pitchers than he does hitters.

"Some starts they're throwing 95, the next start they're throwing 91," Greinke said. "You can't see the life on their fastballs and stuff. I have a lot more trouble with pitchers than hitters. Hitters are easier for me."

Brewers slugger Ryan Braun wasn't surprised by Greinke's unique hobby.

"I know that he's been involved, I know that he enjoys it," Braun said. "He's really intelligent, especially when it comes to baseball stuff. His aptitude is off the charts. His input, I'm sure, wouldn't hurt by any means."

Braun said Greinke also excels at breaking down opposing big league players.

"He and I have conversations about other guys in the league and his interpretation of guys' ability and strengths and weaknesses is right on," Braun said.

Melvin was impressed by Greinke's interest in scouting.

"It's great to know that a young player likes that, loves to follow it," Melvin said. "He had his comments. We enjoyed having him up there."

No comments:

Post a Comment